The Moukhtara Municipality existed since 1913 (Oldest tangible evidence) although many Elder’s in Moukhtara remember that the municipality existed since the beginning of the twentieth century. In 1999, the new municipality building was constructed on a land donated by Mr. Walid Joumblatt and graciously funded by Mr. Georges Chicri El Ashi. Since then, all the municipality activities were taken place in the new building. In 2001 the new building became as well the official seat of the Federation of Municipalities of the Higher Chouf. In 2000 the municipality added 2 new adjacent buildings known as the Club House which is a Socio-cultural center that includes a Coffee shop, Public library, Cinema that accommodate eighty individuals and a public hall for multiple uses. In Moukhtara the public school is attended by many students of the neighboring villages.